Forgot your password?

New
You can now create, edit and view horse profiles to keep track of your favorite horses. Veiw_horses
Close

Champion Hurdle 2012

Classic Winner

fivelongdays

Postby fivelongdays on 12 May 2011, 21:14

So, is there anyone who thinks there's a horse out there that'll be Hurricane Fly in this?
Twitter= @PGHenn

Part-owner of Outlaw Tom and The Village.

"It's all about one horse - and that horse is Outlaw Tom!"

Group 1 Winner

EmmyK

Postby EmmyK on 12 May 2011, 23:48

There is a tiny part of me that thinks Binocular could yet win another.

Apart from that... no. Can't see any of the novices getting past him.
Twitter - @EmmyKGtS
:)

Handicap Class

Kauto Kid

Postby Kauto Kid on 15 May 2011, 00:13

On current form, Hurricane Fly is the big dog and cannot be beaten, he travels so well and his speed is scary.

I have not been impressed with the new breed of hurdlers coming through via the juveniles, only Zarkandar stands out, but i do not think he could beat Hurricane Fly.

From the open division, Spirit Son and Al Ferof look about the best, but i have a feeling Al Ferof will go chasing over 2m net season as Nicholls sees Zarkandar and Sam Winner as his next big hurdlers in the 2m division.

A lot can happen in a year, and only 1 of the field from the previous Champion Hurdle returned this year, in Khyber Kim, which shows we cannot second guess what will be back this next year? Maybe Binocular, who on his best day is the only known horse i believe is capable of matching Hurricane Fly.
If i was to do a forecast now, my top 2 would be Hurricane Fly and Spirit Son
Quevega - My Number One Lady in National Hunt Racing

JWat9

Postby JWat9 on 24 May 2011, 21:18

Kauto Kid wrote:On current form, Hurricane Fly is the big dog and cannot be beaten, he travels so well and his speed is scary.

I have not been impressed with the new breed of hurdlers coming through via the juveniles, only Zarkandar stands out, but i do not think he could beat Hurricane Fly.

From the open division, Spirit Son and Al Ferof look about the best, but i have a feeling Al Ferof will go chasing over 2m net season as Nicholls sees Zarkandar and Sam Winner as his next big hurdlers in the 2m division.

A lot can happen in a year, and only 1 of the field from the previous Champion Hurdle returned this year, in Khyber Kim, which shows we cannot second guess what will be back this next year? Maybe Binocular, who on his best day is the only known horse i believe is capable of matching Hurricane Fly.
If i was to do a forecast now, my top 2 would be Hurricane Fly and Spirit Son

Nicholls said pre-Cheltenham that Sam Winner will be going chasing in the Autumn, but to be honest I would fancy his chances over 2 1/2 or 3 miles rather than 2, he seems like a stayer. He seems to hit flat spots in his races and then stays on at the finish, as he did in the Triumph.

In terms of the Champion Hurdle 2012, I can't look past Hurricane Fly to be honest, he is seriously special. Binocular, given previous form may have a chance with him, but it's whether the real Binocular turns up. He travels ominously well in his races and can find seemingly unlimited speed when asked.

From this years novice form, I feel Zarkander and Spirit Son would be the only 2m hurdlers from the 2010/11 novice division that will progress enough to be of Champion Hurdle standard.

Classic Winner

fely

Postby fely on 25 May 2011, 15:18

ZARKANDAR is the little brother of Zarkava, I think it is very good and he will get even better.
love for Kauto Star ,Big Buck's, Denman ,Mid Dancer, ,Kotkijet and Princesse d'Anjou.
love for Red Rum, Desert Orchid, Best Mate.
special love for Georges Washington and Louping d'Ainay.....
Frankel,Black Caviar,extraordinary horses!!

Classic Winner

darren83

Postby darren83 on 30 May 2011, 11:28

Can't see the fly getting beat.But will OSCARS WELL go for Champion hurdle he could get a place.

Classic Winner

Danny

Postby Danny on 01 Jun 2011, 00:31

If Hurricane Fly turns up I'd expect him to win but March is a long way away!

Out of the others at the moment i think Thousand Stars could be good value at 33s for a place.

Handicap Class

Long Run

Postby Long Run on 19 Sep 2011, 00:04

Hurricane Fly, Spirit Son, Zarkandar will be the 3 come March. I think Spirit Son could be the one to give H Fly the most to do & will be backing him soon. He will mop up the big 2 mile hurdle races over here. Hurricane Fly is something special though would like to somehow get both on side. Wishful thinking haha :roll:

Handicap Class

detroit orchid

Postby detroit orchid on 22 Sep 2011, 13:57

peddlers cross?

i was there on the tuesday and backed hurricane fly but peddlers scared the shite out me :)

if his chasing campaign doesn't start well he could revert to hurdling and on softer ground could get even closer

none of the others need bother turning up

Classic Winner

bozlike

Postby bozlike on 22 Sep 2011, 23:47

It's got to be Hurricane Fly's again, sheer class! I can't see Binocular ever reaching the heights we've seen him hit again. All the best of the rest from last year all appear to be going novice chasing and the trendlines show that novices stepping up for the first time have a shocking record in the race. If he stays fit he wins
Keep calm and back Holywell

Classic Winner

Hurdygurdyman

Postby Hurdygurdyman on 11 Oct 2011, 10:33

Dethroning a top notch Champion Hurdler is never easy.

Persian War held the title for 3 years. It took a combination of time and a the brilliant Bula to dethrone him. Plus his mad owner demanding he ran in everything going shortened his racing lifespan.

See You Then made the Champion Hurdle his own dodgy legs and all.

Istabraq was something else he was virtually unbeatable but again time took it's toll.

I wouldn't take anything away from Binocular he should have won 2 Champion Hurdles and he was probably up there with the greats but clearly something physical went very wrong with him.

Whether he could have handled Hurricane Fly or not is another matter.

Looking back at the build up to last year race we had more realistic contenders than I can remember in any previous year. At least 6 horses were fancied and even those who were in one camp must have thought once or twice about jumping ship and switching loyalties.

Unfortunately this year it has a look of a Hurricane Fly benefit about it.

Perhaps the Supreme came a week or 2 or even a race too to soon for the inexperience Spirit Son but I'd fancy the Champion Hurdle isn't his type of race. I get the impression he'll be better over a bit further and everything would happen half a length too quick for him at Cheltenham.

He's cracking horse but lacks that tiny bit of class that separates the men from the boys. Even with improvement I can see him reaching the heights Binocular did.

It doesn't leave much and as Hurricane Fly has only just arrived and it's unlikely anything can improve through the ranks to beat him.

He looks a banker to become the next duel winner of the race
WARNING: Opposing Sprinter Sacre can damage your health

Classic Winner

AndyRAC

Postby AndyRAC on 11 Oct 2011, 23:35

Got to be the Champion - unless, and it's a big if, Binocular comes back to form.

Is there an Alderbrook out there?? Something decent off the flat....??? I doubt it.....
He's only got to jump it to win it,......

Classic Winner

Hurdygurdyman

Postby Hurdygurdyman on 15 Oct 2011, 08:34

There was mention of Casual Conquest was it? going hurdling but I have no idea what the latest on him is.
WARNING: Opposing Sprinter Sacre can damage your health

Next

Return to Archive Topics

Share This Topic

Facebook Fans

Find us on Facebook
Facebook

Sponsors

Latest Offers

Horses
by: The Young Fellaview horse

by: The Young Fellaview horse