Forgot your password?

New
You can now create, edit and view horse profiles to keep track of your favorite horses. Veiw_horses
Close

Herbert Blagrave

General discussion about Uk, Irish and International horse racing
Group 1 Winner

scallywag76

Postby scallywag76 on 29 Jun 2008, 14:59

I notice that the 2YO maiden at Salisbury today is named after Herbert & Gwen Blagrave and have vague memories of Mr. Blagrave back in the '70's.

I think he was an owner / trainer whose jockeys sported red & white silks and that he had 1 or 2 useful horses. I seem to remember a decent filly of his winning or running well in a conditions race at Newbury but can't recall her name and don't have any form books from that era to hand.

Can anyone provide more info. about the Blagrave stable and the man himself?
Can the world be as sad as it seems?

Handicap Class

Ravel

Postby Ravel on 29 Jun 2008, 15:28

It so happens his old racing silks are up for auction by Bonhams at Tattersalls in Newmarket on 19 July. See lot 249. The description names him wrongly, it's Herbert Blagrave as you say, although Henry was one of his middle names. One of his horses, Couvert, had won the Coventry Stakes at Kempton (!), the Birmingham Cup and the Royal Hunt Cup between 1936-38, when he was training at Beckhampton. Sorry I don't have flat race form books for more recent times!

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.s ... blicSite.r

Classic Winner

insomniac

Postby insomniac on 29 Jun 2008, 20:49

Think his colours were cherry red and powder blue hoops, red cap.
Trained amongst others HONOURABLE 1950 Ascot Stakes; MASTER VOTE 1947 & 48 Royal Hunt Cup; ANTIQUARIAN & SOVEREIGN RULER (2 Kempton Jubilees for the former - when the race was more prestigious than nowadays - 1 for the latter) VITAL MATCH 1969 Falmouth Stakes.
May well have had other good winners; my memory is not that good.
He owned a number of studs in his time (think he may have owned Gainsborough Stud at one time). Trained at Beckhampton.

Classic Winner

rory

Postby rory on 29 Jun 2008, 21:21

insomniac wrote:Think his colours were cherry red and powder blue hoops, red cap.

Officially, they were Maroon and Light Blue Hoops with a Maroon Cap. Interestingly, today's race has been run for nigh on 50 years with the bulk of the original prize money put up by the Blagraves (it was worth £1500 in 1963 for example, a not inconsiderable sum for the time).
"handsome is as handsome does"

Classic Winner

rory

Postby rory on 29 Jun 2008, 21:42

On the subject of Herbert Blagrave, he's most famous outside of racing circles as President of Southampton FC at the time they won the FA Cup. In order to stop his racing mad star player from leaving, he gifted him two broodmares, one of whom became the granddam of a Hennessy Gold Cup winner; that player was the trainer of today's Group 1 winner at Saint Cloud, Mick Channon.
Last edited by rory on 30 Jun 2008, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Winner

seabird

Postby seabird on 29 Jun 2008, 22:53

You are a Font of Knowledge, Rory.......or summat like that! :wink:

Colin

Group 1 Winner

pilgarlic

Postby pilgarlic on 29 Jun 2008, 23:32

Can`t offer a lot on this but think the one eyed Belper may have been one of theirs ( Jimmy Lindley never failed to mention he was one eyed)

Group 1 Winner

Seventy Four

Postby Seventy Four on 30 Jun 2008, 00:16

One Herbert Blagrave horse I remember clearly from the early 1970's I think was Red Brigand, a talented animal who had far more ability than he cared to show, and who was still a maiden at the start of his four year old season, but won three races off the reel after being gelded.
Classy Welsh thoroughbred - loves jumping and limitless stamina

Classic Winner

rory

Postby rory on 30 Jun 2008, 00:41

One of his last group winners (if not the last) was Rymer, who won the Brigadier Gerard in 1975.

Group 1 Winner

scallywag76

Postby scallywag76 on 30 Jun 2008, 00:48

Jogged a few memories! I remember Rymer now and seeing reference to Vital Match, I think he also trained Vital Season - great stuff.

The one-eyed Belper was a John Dunlop horse, used to be ridden by Ron Hutchinson and did most if not all of his winning at Brighton. Blind in his nearside eye, they used to say that he like to keep his good eye on the opposition.
Can the world be as sad as it seems?

Handicap Class

lorddenning

Postby lorddenning on 30 Jun 2008, 01:32

Brighton Tue 25 June 1974

First course win possibly -

Belper ( Busted-Maurine) 5 yr
Lady Manton
Lady Sarah Fitzalan-Howard

Light Blue and Red qtd , Blue sleeves , check cap

trained by Dunlop ridden by Hutchinson

Don't know he was one-eyed at that point.

Classic Winner

Peter Poston's Ghost

Postby Peter Poston's Ghost on 30 Jun 2008, 13:20

Some facts about him.

Herbert Henry Gratwicke Blagrave

Born 3/3/1899 Died 4/7/1981

Served at front in WW1 as officer in Royal Artillery.

Played one First Class cricket match for Gloucs. in 1922.

Began training racehorses in 1928. Trained only for himself and his wife the majority of which were home-bred at his Harwood Stud.

His theory was to fuse the best of British and French bloodlines and was a regular purchaser of bloodstock from his friend M Leon Volterra.

First important winner was 1938 Royal Hunt Cup (Couvert).

Won important races with Atout Maitre, Master Vote, Saucy Sal, Royal Drake, Vic Day, Honorable II, Chinese Cracker, Antiquarian, Sovereign Ruler, All Found, Realistic, Private Walk , Bright Fire and Rymer.

Lester Piggott often rode for him if he had a fancied horse in a decent race.

Stood top class racehorses Match III and Reliance II at his stud.

In his role as Southampton FC chairman he encouraged Mick Channon, who at the time played for him, to take up racehorse ownership and breeding and even gave him two mares to get him started including Blue Horizon who was maternal granddam of Hennesey winner Ghofar.

His charitable trusts are still raising money for good causes.

A great character indeed
Rollin' 'round heaven all day.

timholland

Postby timholland on 30 Jun 2008, 16:15

The mention of Blagrave's name brings back memories.

I grew up in the early 70s about a mile away from Blagrave's house in Linkenholt, Hampshire and remember meeting him on several occasions. He was somewhat intimidating to a ten-year-old !

I think he owned much of the village and he hosted a charity cricket match each summer at which I remember one year seeing soccer players Peter Osgood and Mick Channon as well as jockeys Jimmy Lindley and, I think, Brian Taylor.

As I recall Rymer was his best but I remember Red Brigand as one of his favorites.

Next

Return to Horse Racing

Share This Topic

Facebook Fans

Find us on Facebook
Facebook

Sponsors

Forum Topics

by: gamble read post

by: scallywag76